Sunday, April 20, 2014

Being a New Fighter

Grand Tourney of the Unicorn 2014. I'm in the Helm that says KAT.
Being a new fighter in the SCA can be quite hard. Especially if you don't have anyone to help you along the way. I have been lucky to have several people helping me so far.

I have been fighting rapier since I was 14 or 15. That doesn't mean I got to fight at every event because I could only fight a bronze ring and a couple other people. It was exceptionally hard at that point of time but i always said "wait til I'm 18.... Then I will get them all" I left the SCA for about a year when I turned 17. then when I turned 18 I felt like a pack of wolves was after me. I was AWFUL. typically the one to die the quickest etc etc. But I never gave up. I started asking questions and writing notes and other stuff like that. 2012 was "my year" I traveled to more events and got my authorizations in all advanced rapier forms. I felt on top of the world. But i needed More!

I had always been interested in heavy since i was younger. The clash of metal on metal and seeing 2 big armies collide always seemed fun but something always held me back from that side of the lists. Then my friend mentioned CA and Ballista. I started to get interested but remained unconvinced. Then my sisters started working on armored combat stuff. Sibling rivalry kicked in and I had to get into armor. His majesty Cellach (was known as his highness when I met him) Had a practice at his house and I mentioned I was interested in heavy. A few weeks prior to the practice I had gotten into a horseback riding accident and had a mild concussion but it healed fairly quickly. I arrived at practice and played with some rapier then got into armor. I was in love! I quickly started asking questions on where to get armor and a whole bunch of other things. I started attending more practices in October of 2013 and authorized in heavy fighting in March 2014.

At practice with His Majesty


It has not been easy since my authorization in March, but you can't really expect people to take it easy on you either. I continue to work hard to get better but there will, for a time, be people who are way better then me. I had my first 2 melees these pat 2 weekends and it was fun but frustrating at the same time. I am one of the newer fighters and the more experienced fighters pick up on that fairly quickly. I am usually the first to die in a melee and even in one on ones. Usually if i see the fighter has a white belt (white belts = knights and is the only belt color i know at this point in time) I will ask questions about our passes if there is time.

I have realized that I expect to much of myself. My sisters are better fighters then me and I expect to be just as good as them and most of the other fighters on the field. I'm not sure why I expect such things but I do. I get frustrated easily when I don't land any shots on anyone in either rapier or heavy. In reality I am a newer fighter and I am going to suck at fighting for a while. Since playing heavy I have found I have become a better rapier fighter and I am having a lot more fun on that list. A couple weeks ago I found myself Laughing while fighting some people.... Laughing! I honestly cannot remember the last time I had so much fun on the rapier list!

Everyone always said "if your not having fun, don't get on the list" or " If your not having fun, get off my list" I never really listened and just went out there and tried to win. That was my #1 problem and on occasion remains my problem. I would go out to win and not have fun. My exact thought for a while was "Fun? who has time for fun???? I just have time to win!!!" then the bouts would usually end badly for me.

As a heavy fighter I am running into this same problem. I have been working on armor since January 2014 and I almost have it done 4 months later. I am finding myself Not having fun on occasion because I am in the thought process of "I have to get this shot in I have to" and usually by then a rain of blows come and before i can even swing I am dead. I am also in the process of "I'm a new fighter. Im cannon fodder. Im gonna die" I am trying to come up with ways to stop those thought processes but I am having some difficulties. Heavy is a bit harder because the blows are a lot harder and you typically leave the field with some sort of a mark..... Or at least I do :P . The more I work at it and ask questions though I know I will get better. Its getting over the mental game that will prove to be a challenge.

My first time in heavy armor

The Biggest thing I can suggest as a new fighter (both heavy and rapier) is ask questions and practice often. I have started helping my sister with some rapier techniques and I often find myself answering questions I had when I was new to fencing. I have been asked some questions about heavy and more often then not (because I am so new) I end up going to someone who knows and giving that answer to the person who asked me. I know in a few years I will be ready to answer those questions myself. Until then I plan to learn all I can when I can.


No comments:

Post a Comment